The History of Our Parish
Years of serving the community
Father Francois Blanchet, later Archbishop Blanchet, the pioneer missionary of the Oregon country, traveled by canoe through Agate passage in 1840 and visited the Native American at their camp below what is now Suquamish. By 1843, Captain Wilkes records that there was already a crude Catholic chapel at this site.
The priests who continued to serve the Catholic Tribes of Puget Sound throughout the following decades also visited the flourishing settlement of Port Madison. During the late 19th century, Mass was celebrated from time to time at the home (still standing) of Phillip Wist, the local hotel keeper.
As Port Blakely, in turn, became a booming mill town, its Catholic families gathered about once a month for Mass at the home of one of the workers. In 1914, these families built St. Andrew Church on the top of Blakely Hill. This church, built on the top of Blakely Hill, continued in use until 1943.
– Rev. Laurence O’Larey (1953-55)
– Rev. William Odgen (1955-61)
– Rev. Alfred Mathlenski (1961-69)
– Rev. Charles Crosse (1969- 71)
– Rev. Gerald Moore (1969-74)
– Rev. Cornelius Harrington (1974-79)
– Rev. Donald Conger (1979-90)
– Rev. Joseph Erny (1990)
– Fr. John Graisy (1990- 91)
– Ward Oakshott (1991-95)
– Fr. Gerard Clenaghan (3/95-6/95)
– Fr. Patrick Godley (1995-2000)
– Fr. Dennis Sevilla (2000-2003)
– Fr. Sean O’Loughlin (2003-2005)
– Fr. Emmett Carroll (2005 – 2013)
– Fr. Joseph Mitchell (2014 – 2018)
– Fr. Mark Kiszelewski (2018 – present)
Years in the community